13 March, 2008

The Ride Home

Dear Friends and Family,

The following note is a continuation of the day at the Bedford Autodrome. It picks up after the Palmer Instructors dismissed us and these words chronciles the remainder of the evening which as it turns out was an unexpected affair.

As the day wound down at the Palmer Sport racing program I was faced with the same hoops I had to overcome just eight hour earlier, transporting myself between the Bedford Autodrome and High Wycombe. Luckily this time I was surrounded by a few people who I imagined, at least one oh which, would be passing by the train station.

After checking with the Palmer Sport instructors it appeared my luck might be running out as they all seemed to be heading in the wrong directions. Before I relegated myself to calling a taxi I noticed one of the photographers was packing up his gear and getting ready to leave. I thought it would be worth a shot.

After introducing myself and explaining my plight he told me I might want to speak with the journalist who had been participating in the day’s program. As it turned out I wasn’t running out of luck, instead it was getting dumped on me. When enquiring with him, not only was he heading by the train station, he was also going to be driving back to High Wycombe along with one of the photographers

The ride home put an exclamation point on the day as I got to ride with, who I would find out, is one of the most influential journalists in the British automotive media. During the ride home I got to know Colin Goodwin, the gentleman who participated in the training program for his story for one of the top publications in the UK. It was pretty easy to tell that he is a switched on guy who is very connected with the automotive scene. The ride back changed from mere transit to an eye opening experience where Colin explained really what was going on with the racing, low sulfur diesel in America, and how I could get a running car for 250 British pounds. At this point I am really just happy to meet new people, but to meet someone with an intimate knowledge of the scene I am trying to break into is incredible!
Additionally I rode with Stuart Price an incredibly talented automotive photographer who just happens to be living a few blocks from Douglas and Ina in High Wycombe. After the ride back he was kind enough to have me by to his home where we had some ‘traditional’ British cuisine, Indian curry. Stuart is a very cool guy, because he and I share many similar personality traits. Just like me with racing, Stuart knew he wanted to pursue his passion for cars and photography. In turn he attended a University for the arts where he single mindedly pushed towards his dream and as a result became a truly phenomenal photographer. He became employed by Autocar as a staff photographer and is now living his dream. I hope he won’t be too mad if I post one of his magnificent images.

By the time I ended back at the apartment I had well decided it had been my best day so far in the United Kingdom.

Hope you are doing great, because after a day like this, I certainly am!

Michael

No comments: