13 August, 2008

My first British Motor Car Race

Dear Friends and family,

This weekend I will be doing my first motor car race in the United Kingdom. If the year were 1961 I would literally be on the clasp of Formula 1, the car I will be running is from the category called Formula Junior and was the final step for many drivers on their way to Formula 1. In fact, with a few minor modifications, the car I am driving could easily be prepared to Formula 1 spec, of well, 1961.
The particular machine I will be driving is owned by a gentleman named Peter Jackson and is one of three cars that were originally raced by the Cooper Works team during 1961. If anyone asks you the specifics of the machine it is a 1961 Cooper Mk2 Formula Junior T56. The engine for the car is a Ford Cosworth which puts out approximately 110 brake horse power. If you see a picture of the car by modern terms it is very ‘retro’ and looks like one of the truly fantastic machines that were seen in the famous movie Grand Prix.
Since I was young I have always been fascinated with this type of racing cars, knowing it was a design from the days of old I never thought I would have the chance to drive one. When Mr. Jackson offered me the drive, I was elated to accept the opportunity. At the end of the day I don’t expect McLaren F1 to ring me up on account of the spectacular performance I will be putting in, but an opportunity to drive something like this is simply too good to pass up.
The circuit I will be racing at is Mallory Park, an infamous circuit in the United Kingdom. While the circuit is short in length, just around one mile, it has both the longest and tightest corners in the country. From an overhead map you will see there are only five corners on the circuit, however Gerards the corner at the end of the main straight goes on for about two days and three weeks, and I am told it actually has more than one apex! On the opposite end of the course is a corner where the cars must brake down to about 30 miles per hour.
The race will be taking place on Sunday the 17th of August. For the race meeting I will have a single twenty minute warm up/reconnaissance/practice/ testing/ qualify session followed by a 12 lap race. Mr Jackson, who I met with last weekend to help in preparing the car, is clearly becoming a bit ‘nerved’ to entrusting someone else with his pride and joy. He has reassured me (about 350 times) that it won’t be necessary for me to push the car to the limits as I would do in a modern car. He would prefer me to enjoy the opportunity to drive the machine, which I intend to do, while driving the ever living b’jesus out of it. (just kidding Peter!)
In all fairness to Peter I am going to really enjoy the opportunity and not push beyond what I feel is 100% completely safe. I will try to mount an onboard camera on the machine as well, so you can ride along with me.
Although its not a Formula 3 car, but I can assure you I am completely excited about this opportunity. Mr. Jackson is a fantastic guy for entrusting me with his baby, so I will be first and foremost focused on bringing it home in one piece, but if the car were to get a bit sideways, there will certainly be a big smile on my face!
Hope you are having a great week, I’m counting down the days until Sunday!
Cheers
Michael

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, have fun with it brother!

Unknown said...

Hey MJ, I like to you wish you luck and of course have fun.