27 February, 2008

Move to High Wycombe

Hello everyone

On Sunday afternoon, after a great nights rest in London, I transfered via train to High Wycombe to my more permanent (but still temporary) living accomodations. When I arrived at the High Wycombe train station my old friend Douglas Robertson from UNT greeted me. Douglas is South African, however he holds a British passport, and after graduating in August he moved to the UK. He is currently working for a company here in the UK called Red Prairie, which does consulting work with a number of major international corporations. Douglas and I first met when I was playing with the UNT soccer club. Doug wasn't on the team, but made enough of an impression with the coach, that he asked Douglas to train with our team everyday! We became friends at that point and also ended up in a marketing together called new product development studying under Dr. Guzman.

The city of High Wycombe (pronounced High Wickum or Wickem) is 29 miles north west of London and is a major change from the London cityskape. Doug lives here with his girlfriend Ina in a two story appartment where I am happily residing. It is a great place!

The city of High Wycombe is everything I would expect from an old village in the UK. There is a bit of a mountain and we seem to live on the top of it. Downtown is approximately one mile down the mountaint, turn right, and another mile. Downtown High Wycombe is made up of shops of all variety, restaurants, and history buildings. There is an old church, which apparently is still used, as there was organ music blasting from the walls when I passed this morning. There is a busy vibe to the city and people are always walking around town.

I have typically been coming to town to work at one of the restaurants which provides internet access so I can send everyone messages!

Well hope you are doing well. I will send some photos tommorow.

Cheers

Michael

No comments: