23 February, 2008

Smooth landing in the UK

Dear Friends and Family,

This morning after a week of final preparations, packing, and good-bye's I left Texas and took up British Airways on their flight to the UK. After a routine 8 hour and 45 minute flight I arrived to a smooth landing in a foggy UK.

on a side note: After landing the pilot annouced that our landing had been handled 100% by autopilot! I would have never know if he did not mention it. Amazing what technology can do.

After arriving in England, all of you would have loved to see me moving my 135+ pounds of luggage through London. It was a neat system with two bags piggy backed on one another and worked great for rolling around on long flat terrain. The problem came when I had to make changes on metro system (known as the tube). You would have laughed seeing me hauling all of it up and down these stairs! (I would have laughed also had it been someone else)

After arriving at my new friends Pieter and Fernanda's house I had a chance to drop my gear and get cleaned up. For my first day in the UK I spent the day site seeing and doing the 'tourist' thing. Although I am not for the tourist thing, it helped me get a feel for the city, and I must admit it was cool to see the London Bridge, Big Bend, and Parliament building.

Tommorow I will be transfering out of London to High Wycombe, a city northwest of london, where I will be staying with one of my friends from University until I find my own place.

Wish you all the best.

Michael

No comments: