15 May, 2008

First British Race Seat

During the Brands Hatch A1GP weekend I had a chance to catch up with my friend Peter Jackson. I met Peter a few weeks prior at the Cadwell Park vintage car race meeting. That weekend, after we met at a lunch table he had been kind enough to show me around the paddock and introduce me to the participants in the series.

During this weekend Peter was hosting a 'Retro Racers' exhibit for the A1GP fans, showcasing his clubs vintage racing machines. I stopped by to say hello and see how things were getting on. The classic cars were certainly catching some well deserved attention as the majority of race fans stopped by to look over the cars. Although Peter's job was officially to explain the different machines to the fans, his job was quickly deterioriating to that of a baby sitter as miniature British racing fans climbed all over priceless cars.

During our chat Peter asked me if I thought I could fit into his machine. I climbed into the Cooper and found it to be a natural fit. For years I have appreciated the engineering and design of the early year rear engine single-seaters. To my astonishment Peter asked me if I fit alright if I would be willing to drive the car for him in an upcoming race in July at Cadwell Park. The opportunity to pilot such a car is an incredibly rare opportunity and I took him up immediately on the offer.

For the photo I decided to use a symbol I had just learned about. In Britain two fingers held up is known as a 'V' for victory, certainly what I plan on doing when I drive Peter's Cooper at Cadwell!

On the other hand, during a recent history lesson I learned that if you turn the hand around it becomes a less than friendly gesture. During midevil warfare when the French captured a English archer they would 'remove' the two fingers the archer used for drawing back their bow string. When going into battle the English archers would hold up their two fingers to let the french know they still had them, and the capacity to fire arrows in their direction. Seemlessly this translated into the modern giving someone the bird. I had to be very careful I kept my hand the right direction for the photo op!

The race Peter offered for me to pilot his machine is in July and will be held in Cadwell Park. I can't wait! My first race seat in British Motorsport!!!

Your friend at speed.

Michael

2 comments:

Unknown said...

On your last post thats awsome to be able to break in the car I know the routine myself. Thats great that things are picking up for you having all the opportunities to drive, Goodluck and always stay safe.

Scott said...

not if...but WHEN you make it to F1, we'll have to come out to cheer you on! Definitely get some radical photos from the team garage. ^_^