05 May, 2008

A Visit to Brands

Dear Friends,

This weekend I visited what is arguably one of the greatest racing circuits in the world and without much argument the finest course in Great Britain, Brands Hatch.

The Brands Hatch circuit is located in Kent, east of London an hour or so depending on where you start from. Like many of the circuits in England I found it has a unique and interesting heritage since the time it was created in the 1920's. Originally the land the circuit is now located on was owned by the Brands farm and used as a military training base. At some point the farmers used their machinery to cut out a circuit which was used by cyclists to ride through the country side. The first actual race was held in 1928 using a 4 mile course and featured cyclist and runners. Since this time it evolved into a motor racing circuit and made the Formula 1 World Calendar from 1964 to 1986.

Many of the greatest Formula 1 racing drivers competing on the circuit. I was able to find this absolutely intriguing video of World Champion driver Jackie Stewart explaining the course as he completed a lap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfnPipg03c

The reason for my visit this weekend was to watch many of my colleagues from Palmer Sport race who are competing in the Formula Palmer Audi Championship along with the headline race the A1GP World Cup of Motorsports. The weekend was absolutely fantastic and I feel like I was able to see and feel the true spirit and passion the British have for motorsports.

Today I am cracking away today on some sponsorship opportunities and will close for now, but when I have a few minutes tomorrow I will put up a more detailed post on the races, the people and some of the fantastic happenings of the weekend.

Hope you are doing well and are looking forward to the week!

Michael

No comments: