25 June, 2008

On the Job: 2009 Championship Campaign

Dear Friends and Family,

This week I have started planning for the 2009 Championship. I have been kindly granted a few days off work so I can focus on the planning stages of my racing plans. I have been working recently with the incredibly talented Megan Wood of Game Plan on a marketing piece which explains the commercial benefits of a motorsport program with MJDrive.

Although everyone is quick to talk about the talent level of this driver or the commitment level of that driver, before you can even get on the track it takes a massive amount of captial. Just for next years Formula Ford campaign I am told to expect it to cost around 100k British Pounds to be with a top team. A step up from there to British F3 is around 500k British Pounds. If you are reading this in America just double that figure to get the US Dollar equivalent.

To me this is one of the saddest things about the sport. I even recall Fernando Alonso mentioning a few years ago there are more talented drivers in karting than Formula 1, its just a matter of having the money and getting the breaks. Well, I don't have either, but I think money would be a stupid thing to let stop me.

I am incredibly grateful for Megan's help on the proposal. It is in a .pdf form and I cannot figure out how to load it here, but if you are keen to see it send me an email and I will pass it on.

Hope you are doing well, would love to hear how things are going on your side of the world.

Cheers

Michael

2 comments:

Dianne said...

sure wish I had a million extra pounds to had over to you.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel on the money side of things, I once wanted to be a racing driver, I even went into the skip barber racing school, did my few races, and even got a job with the racing school as a mechanic since I couldnt afford to race so working there allowed me to learn to work on the cars and drive them aswell, but sadly I got laid off. Thats why im inspired by you, your someone I believe will go all the way, I too wish I had the money to help you out aswell myself Ha. I hope the best for you man, take care and Goodluck.