19 June, 2008

V.V.V.I.P.

Dear friends and family,


During a normal week I get to work with a fantastic variety of racing drivers at Palmer Sport. Some of them have never sat in a racing car before, others are avid enthusiasts, while a few of them have raced Le Mans, European touring cars, and frankly could most likely offer me valuable advice! The variety in itself is certainly enough to keep me on my toes!


Last Friday I had a complete change of pace when I was asked if I could give karting lessons to a young student. As my background in racing is based on thirteen years of kart racing and I have a bit of experience coaching young people I was happy to oblige.


When the young driver arrived his father accompanied him. Aboard Dr. Palmers personal helicopter they landed moments after our normal day came to a finish. After landing the six year old was fitted in an appropriate childs jump suit, helmet, gloves, the whole deal and we headed out to the track. Our kart mechanic had prepared a special cadet kart for the boy to drive that he would fit in and allow him to reach the pedals.


I spent the first bit of time making sure he understood the basics, gas pedal, brakes, safely climbing in and out of the kart. You must understand the complexity of such a task, it is very tough to explain to a six year old how to 'stop' a kart, when all he just wants to go on the track and drive around in his new rompus suit! After practicing using the brakes a few times in the pits he headed out onto the track. Once on the track he followed behind one of my colleages in another kart and they did a lead follow session for a few laps so he could start getting a feel for a safe speed on the track. He did quite well and after a few more slow sessions he was able to take the lead and run a few laps without a guide.


After the lessons I had been asked to chauffeur the two of them back to their home in Oxford. For the ride home I had the pleasure of getting to know his father for what turned into a very interesting conversation. The boys father is a gentleman by the name of Adam Parr who has recently gotten involved in the motorsport industry and is the CEO of Williams Formula 1 racing.


At the end of the hour and a half drive he invited me in to his home for a drink where our conversation continued and I had a chance to meet his family. During the ride, Mr. Parr's boss Frank Williams called and Adam told him a bit about this kid that had just moved to England from Texas and sold his soul to race Formula 1 cars.


Meeting Mr. Parr was an incredible experience, aside from the fact more than anything in the world i'd like to work for him. He was a great guy, warm personality, and was happy to talk with me about his team, program, and operation. I learned a lot in a brief conversation and as I headed off he invited me along with the others who had helped with the day to come for a tour of their factory and watch their next test at Silverstone.










MEGA!


Wishing you all the best.


Michael

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Michael! Your incredible journey continues; you most certainly are on your way to making that dream become a reality. Have a wonderful day. Marilyn

Unknown said...

That is Amazing man, such a great opportunity to have to met someone who is part of the industry of Formula One. Do your best to seize this chance of a life time, stick your foot in the door and never pull it back out. Im happy this is happening for you, Enjoy it! Have a good one, later buddy.

Anonymous said...

That's really cool man. How's the sponsor presentation going?

Scott said...

Holy Crap! Positive thinking and vibes envisioning what you want to happen, and BAM! The tiny pieces are falling into place.