29 June, 2008

How good do you want to be?

Dear Friends and Family,

One thing I've noticed over the past few years, whether that is sport, in the classroom, or on the job is that there is an expectation for mediocrity in the world.

Some things quickly come to my mind as I recall my days in different places in the world. Some of my teammates in various sport would take short cuts when we were on training runs. At University I remember classmates frowning if I asked a question when it got too close to the time to leave. Over and over again at different jobs I have witnessed some people happy to do a job that is just good enough to get by. I have never understood this, why are people driven to the middle of the road, to being mediocre, and not pushing themselves to seeing what life can really hold?

Last week I spent some time planning specifically where I want to be over the next five years and how I am going to get there. I want to be in Formula 1 in five years and not just in Formula 1, I intend on being the 2013 Formula 1 driving world champion.

I told a few people about this last week and I got a few responses "are you serious?" or "You think you can actually make it to Formula 1?" All of a sudden my team mates taking short cuts came back into my mind, the people that would rather get by than get the most out of life. If I don't go to Formula 1 who is going to?

Well perhaps it is ambitious. Perhaps it is completely unlikely, but Yes, I do think I can make it to Formula 1 and I intend on doing it.

So my next question is for you. Where on the road do you want to be in five years? Are you one of those people who accepts the middle? From the incredible encouragement I receive from so many of you, I would imagine you are of a different breed. You know the world is a tough place but great things can happen when great people put there mind to it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Your friend

Michael

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, You have come so very far and are headed in the right direction -- never look back. You must take up a F1 slot; if you don't fill it, you know who might! And, where on the road do I want to be in 5 years -- right there on the track beside you cheering you on all the way to the finish line! You CAN do it! Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Michael, people are like this because it's easy. It's safe, easy and they don't have to worry about disappointment or judgment from their peers or parents. I often find that people like this can be your antagonists.

As for your question...In five years I want to be one of the fastest drivers out there. I want to have won in karting, and well on my way up the Mazda ladder system. In 5 years I want to be in either Formula Atlantic or Indy lights, and also have long since completed my bachelors degree.

Good luck to you my friend. I must admit, I find it hard to believe you'll be the 2013 World Champion, but I also hope you flush my skepticism down the drain!! Maybe we'll scrap it out on the track some day, later.

Anonymous said...

You have the right attitude to make it in F1 Michael. You have to be completely focused and settle for nothing else. Now in my little world it is more about balance. In order for me to do the best with my family and my business I have to be one of those mediocre guys at my day job. Works for the best because I am surrounded by mediocrity and it has taken me a few years to learn I get farther by not rocking the boat. You have the luxury now of few distractions, go for your single goal and don't look back!