03 April, 2008

Cornering Forces

As a racing driver you are trained to use either 100% gas or 100% brake, coasting or anything else is simply wasting precious time. However there is a point through every corner where using 100% gas or 100% brake simply does not work.

When a racing car takes a corner when done correctly the car is at the absolute limit of adhesion to the road. All the capability of the car is being expended to turn the car. At that very point if you were to apply even the slightest amount of gas or brake the tyres would be overwhelmed and the car would spin off course.

I find myself in this situation, not on the racing track, but in my life and adjustment to a new country. For the last week I have been working on some administrative issues of transportation, work visa, and finding a place to stay. Although it is not driving, I have the anxious feeling of taking a corner at a speed which is far less than the maximum speed, while doing my best to remain patient.

I hope you are doing very well. With any luck I will have some good news to report and have exciting things to write about very soon!

Sincerely yours

Michael

No comments: