08 April, 2008

A new place to call home: Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit

Since moving to the United Kingdom my next major mission has been to find a more permanent place to call home. After taking some time to get a feel for the country, research the landscape I have found a place in the city of Northampton.

The residence I am staying at is only ten minutes from the Silverstone race circuit, the home of the British Formula 1 Grand Prix. Technically i'm not living 'at the circuit,' but I figure this is as close as I can reasonably be in short notice. Beyond the Silverstone circuit, two hours drive makes up about 70% of the Formula 1 teams headquarters. If there is anything to be said for being at the right place, I'm pretty sure i'm there.


The place I have found is a small room in a house just a few miles from the Northampton town center. While I didn't think I had a lot of stuff, a couple of bags and my racing gear, this is redefining my ability to use space effeciently. I have a single bed, night stand, and a stand out closet where I can hang up my nice(r) clothes. It might not be a lot, but I am happy to be in the right place and have a place to stay that isn't Doug's sofa!


Now that I have made fun of Doug's sofa I must quickly and sincerely thank him and his girlfriend Ina for putting me up since I attived in the UK. As things like this naturally work I had promised Douglas I would be out of there in two or three weeks. Sure enough it has been over a month, so for being so for being gracious I really appreciate it. I must also commend Ina on her excellent cooking. She fed us almost every day and it was fantastic I don't think I ate the same thing twice, Thanks Ina! (and in all fairness the sofa was pretty comfortable)


My new housemate is a nice lady from Zimbabwe named Laura. She works at a law office in Northampton and luckily for me is keen on racing so hopefully she won't go crazy hearing about motorsport 24 hours a day 7 days per week.


Thank you for all of you who have personally written me notes and comments on this site, I read everyone of them and really appreciate the support.


I hope you are having a great week.


Michael

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thats really awsome man to live so close to such a track with major history where careers have began and ended, seems fit for you. Hope you get some good rest and keep it up.