27 April, 2008

You Meet the Most Interesting People

I love driving racecars. There is a feeling of taking a corner at the absolute limit of the tyres, engine, and track which is simply undescribable. It is a feeling where all of the senses are alive and nothing else can create this same feeling.

Along with my passion for driving, another thing I love about motorsport is the incredible people it brings together. Motorsport has allowed me to meet leaders of government, business, and sport. Sometimes the sport bridges gaps to some of the most interesting people I might have never met otherwise.

I recently received a message from one of my friends who is in California who bumped into someone through motorsport that he would have never expected.


A MESSAGE FROM JOEL BEWLEY OF BEWLEY DESIGN LAB

It has been ages since Steve Mcqueen crested San Francisco's greeting card hills, clearing all four tires from the pavement. As the car bottoms out the ninth hubcab, of the sixteen lost, bounces into the front yard of neighborhood surrounding the hills where the filming of the infamous pursuit tookplace.

Today the tire marks from Mcqueen's green mustang are long gone but motorsport and speed is still alive on the hills. Instead of a fastback mustang the pace is set by a large cable car racing the streets conducted by a gentleman named Frank. As I picked up the ride midway up 'nob hill' Frank was quick to notice my Sparco gear bag. I soon discovered Frank wasn't your typical American smitten with Nascar or Football. Frank is a true road racing fan and very aware of the difficulty of breaking into formula one.

I enjoyed the conversation but before I knew it Frank slid the cable car to a halt at my destination. So next time you are in San Francisco and looking for a chat on motorsport, look for the cable conductor who grabs the cable fast and brakes late, he will get you to your destination quicker than the rest.

So Michael, Frank the cable car driver sends his support and wishes you success on your journey to f1.

Joel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIwtPwXrTVU

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From what ive learned the people of motorsport are always helpful, its easy to tell if a person is a fake or really passionate about motorsports and they can see that, you def. are 110% full blooded into racing and that can get you very far.