22 April, 2008

Champions Consultant

Out of the 9,000 or so registered racing drivers from New Zealand he figures he's somewhere around 9,000 when it comes to talent. He is the first to crack a joke at his own expense and carries himself in a light hearted way. Very upfront and quick to poke fun at himself, I have found this type of person to be one to look out for.

These individuals always seem to fall into one of two categories. They are either A) truly awful and being ranked 9,000th in New Zealand Motorsport would be a gross overvaluation of their ability, or B) They are supremely on top of their game, with a level of confidence, and aptitude where frankly it just doesn't matter what you think.

After sitting at the dinner table with this man for only a few minutes I had formed my conclusion as to which rung he stands on. There was no sense of bragging, or trying to impress with his years in the business but he put it quite simply, "I have been racing in Europe for longer than you have been alive. The reason McLaren, Renault, and Honda call me is because I have been in the trenches with the team directors and they know I have the road dirt to help their team reach their potential."

As dinner carries on I learn that not only does he work with these teams, but he is firstly responsible for developing many past and present grand prix drivers, the ones considered to be the most naturally gifted drivers in the world. Pupils names like Kovalainen and Raikkonen pop up nonchalantly during the meal.

Although I was quite keen to learn more about him, Mr. Rob Wilson was quite astute on keeping the conversation based around where I have been, where I am now, and where I intend on going. It was in fact for thirty minutes he scrutinized my CV, quizzing me line by line on each matter of accomplishment. I could tell he was feeling me out to decide the nature of the individual sitting with him.

While he was quite critical during the entire process the thing which changed his tone was when we were talking about the SCCA racing I did and how I came about the drives. When he found out that I had gotten the rides on merit and my family hadn't paid for the rides or that my father had not arranged them through a colleague or business friend he started to take a real interest.

After drawing his conclusion, Mr. Wilson's tone and demeanor shifted to that of a close advisor, the kind of person you want to learn forward and listen to every word they have to say. The first point he made is that this business is absolutely brutal. In the end to reach Formula 1 it is about talent but at the beginning it is about supreme commitment and money, without both you will get passed by. He said if my case were different, say my father was the King of Bahrain or a former world champion, it would be no problem for him to arrange a seat for me with a Formula Ford or F3 team, work with me everyday and get me to a level which would qualify me for a tryout with a Formula 1 team. However moving beyond that point to attaining my career goal on winning the Formula 1 driving world championship would require absolute commitment and focused natural ability which money cannot buy.

Given my position he said it would be much tougher. He said most American's fail on this road, because the life is too hard and it is easier to return home. He applauded the fact I had attained a position with Dr. Jonathan Palmer's, Palmer Sport racing school and said that it is a fantastic place for me. Furthermore he said I should ALWAYS be at race circuits meeting people, and actively helping them to reach their own racing goals whether that be through driver coaching, marketing work, journalism or simply pushing a broom. In the end he said the idea is to impress the right person who has the ability to support my development and be a patron on my road to F1.

At the end of dinner along with some brutally honest advice, I feel was the best sign so far in my thirteen year racing career. The driving coach for the current world champion and consultant to nearly half of the Formula 1 team grid had found that the two hours he spent having dinner with me were not been a waste of his time and suggested we meet again in a few weeks to see how things are going.

To me this is a unbelievable sign because for someone with his experience and connections to see a reason to continue speaking with me and mentoring me tells me that given enough work, dedication, commitment and the right break, this Texan might in the end have a real crack at F1.
Now it's time for me to get to work.

Michael

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting read. Thank you for writing it.

I wish you the best of luck with your racing career!

Anzie, Finland. From speedtv.com forum.

Unknown said...

Im glad you got that sign buddy, its a great picker upper, I believe in you too. I always felt the same way, you gotta start somewhere giving all the heart and commitment you got. Go get em Texan!

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your racing career. I hope some day to see a fellow Texan in F1.